Friday, March 2, 2012

Why are normal Christians not speaking out?

First of all, I don't wish to identify with anyone particular group. If anything, I lean towards universal ideals that humanists hold dear: Everyone should prosper equally.

I recently stumbled across someone's attempted interview with GOP nomination candidate Rick Santorum, and it occurred to me just how very wrong he is for the position.

How is it that I see little if any organized effort by normal church organizations to distance themselves from their brethren Christians elsewhere who willingly call for war without just cause?


The war-mongering political drivel of right-wing neo-conservatives  is just that. Drivel. It doesn't make any sense. Why are  so-called god-fearing voters  casting their ballots to enable bigotry? Many of the politicians they vote in have a very callous, if not hateful view towards other nations.

 If you think I'm being overly liberal in my views, fear not. I think, we reap what we sow. And we should take responsibility for the political undermining we embark on in dealing with those we see as a supposed threat.

But, I'm  thinking of the standard unholy alliance of god, guts, and glory, with a dash  blind patriotism, and American-apple-pie thrown in. The standard formula. You're either with us, or you're against us mentality.

Am I wrong on this point, or are there concrete examples of such registered opposition among the religious, and I have just not been paying attention? But here's the problem; I think I do pay attention and I just don't see any opposing views being widely expressed.

Granted the current Obama administration is relatively the same as the Bush administration as far as saber rattling goes. Obama is better spoken, but I think it’s the only real difference. There’s some window dressing as in health care reform and it appears its meant for distraction. There was, and still is -  no hope and change delivered.  

I also understand all too well, we live under a series of corporate oligarchies that control media messaging. This goes without saying, and is obvious.

An astute,  political/socially conscious individual need only read any mainstream newspaper and at once they understand instinctively what is not being published. The editorials are often far from being luminary in their views. After all, the status-quo has been benefiting them for years, why change it?

From a humanistic point of view, we as a society are failing miserably on so many fronts.

This being said, I don’t understand as I’ve mentioned, why I don’t see a large organized opposition mounted from  Christians who profess love and peace, against those ‘Christians’ who would vote for the likes of a Sarah Palin, or a Rick Santorum who has publicly said he would use Just War Theory in a premeditated attack against Iran and against its hundreds of thousands if not millions of innocent potential victims.  

Remember the stolen 1953 Iranian elections? The one that would’ve seen a democratically elected president who did not want to be a puppet to Standard oil of Britain? We did that. The West did it.  Britain and the U.S.

People who have humanistic intentions are beginning to organize, but it sure would be nice to see commonplace in mainstream news that ‘other’ official church groups who are already organized, begin opposing today’s media messaging, and the seemingly entrenched mindsets bent on war and destruction, etc.

In Canada, Harper is the same. He’s ready to go to war and spend untold billions of non-existent dollars at the drop of a hat. Yet he comes from a right-wing ‘Christian’ tradition. Harper is in a good position ( if you want to put it that way) with the tar sands of Alberta.  Canada does not have to be blackmailed by U.S. trade if it does not wish to join in unnecessary wars with the U.S.

So, I’ll reiterate my original question.

 How is it that I see little if any organized effort by other church organizations to distance themselves from the war-mongering political drivel of right-wing neo-conservative fascists who are enabled by their religious voters?

Am I wrong on this point, or are there concrete examples of such registered, mainstream opposition and I have just not been paying attention?

I think I've been paying attention, and it sure doesn't appear to be commonplace knowledge...

No comments: