Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Achieving a Balance between Pessimism and Optimism

Like many of you, I'd like to think I enjoy a fairly, healthy mental state. You'll notice I said fairly. I don't know if anyone in this world can honestly apply the term; perfectly, and 'healthy' mental state to themselves. If you do however, I congratulate and more bananas to you!

However, for most people out there in the grind of the 9 to 5, rush hour traffic, road rage, performing unfulfilling tasks, and dealing with half-lobotomized co-workers at the water cooler, all of this can understandably get even the healthiest mindset down at times.

For these challenges many of you have to face out there on a day-to-day basis, let me just say, first of all, I feel for you, and secondly, I'm thankful I work at home...


All ribbing aside, I'm grateful for what we have here. Even before I turn on the TV news in the evening, I know I'm going to witness sights, and hear stories being told that will in all likelihood, begin to get me depressed. From one particular article aired on CBC's The National last night, all I can say is; Valium anyone?

No wonder you hear some people say they've had to take a break from the news. I've done it myself countless times. But inevitably, I always return for more. I return hoping against hope that somehow, magically we've all stopped our bitter, insignificant disputes, no one's killed, or murdered someone else, no one's getting ripped off, no suicide bombing has just shredded through another crowd of people including children, our leaders have stopped saber rattling, and have also made a true, historic agreement with each other to end pollution, greed, and poverty!

Yes. I'll just wait a moment until you stop laughing...


No comments: